Dr. Roberts and Dr. Henderson want to remind our patients that our office offers thorough oral
cancer screenings as part of our comprehensive dental health services. Oral cancer screenings
help us catch the early signs of oral cancer before they progress to a more advanced stage.
Regular screenings are your first line of defense against oral cancer and Dr. Roberts and Dr.
Henderson are here to help.
As part of your screening, we will check your tongue, lips, gums, throat, and mouth for any
abnormalities that could be or become cancerous. If we detect any form of abnormality in your
mouth, we’ll send a sample of it to a lab for further testing. A variety of symptoms could include:
● Ear pain
● Lumps or swellings in or around your mouth
● Mouth sores that don’t heal
● Unexplained mouth bleeding
● Sore throat without other sinus symptoms
● Feeling as if something is caught in the back of your throat
● White or red patches in your mouth
● Dramatic weight loss
● Difficulty or discomfort in speaking, swallowing, or moving your tongue or jaw
Early detection is key. If identified in early or precancerous stages it can often be removed and
require less invasive procedures to treat. Later stages of oral cancer are more complex to treat,
especially if it has spread beyond your mouth.
The best way to prevent oral cancer is through regular oral cancer screenings during your visits to
our office. If you would like more information about oral cancers and oral cancer screenings, call
our office at 979-968-9451 for a consultation or visit us online.